Have you ever stopped to think about where your ideas come from? For some reason I seem to have hit a period where I’m doing quite a bit of writing and it got me wondering just where my ideas are coming from. Why are the ideas that I’m getting at the moment flowing so readily when next week the well could suddenly dry up? In my case I think that there might be a few reasons which I will share with you:
- I seem, at last, to be getting into some sort of writing routine where I am doing some writing every day. I wonder, is this because of the routine or because I’ve so many ideas at the moment I needed to create a routine?
- The weather is picking up, so I’m getting out of the house more – either trips to the coffee shop or spending more time in my ‘Studio’ – both places that almost make me write.
- I’m more aware of the things that are the beginnings of themes or ideas. For example, yesterday I read a poem from a fellow blogger which immediately made me think of one of my 140 character stories, or I’ve just seen a book lying on a table indoors entitled ‘How To Kill Your Husband’ and immediately I thought of another 140 character story. (Incidentally I do need to ask my wife what prompted her to borrow that book from the library!)
- I found, quite by accident, an interesting site called ‘A Word With You Press’. Their February contest was intriguing and again I felt almost obliged to put pen to paper.
- Following a link for someone who had commented on a blog that I follow I found someone whose blog is full of some tremendous photos – Mystafied. After looking at his latest post with a great photo of a spider and its web I’m again wanting to write a short story.
- Feedback from people who read some of my stories is great for the ego but, more importantly, it makes you realise that you have an audience, someone to write for. To me writing is just another form of story-telling and all good stories need to be listened to.
- I’m actually using Twitter much more than I’ve ever done in the past. The main reason for this is again linked to the 140 character stories I am writing and it’s great to read the work of others. I’ve also come across hash tags like #amwriting and #amblogging – more sources of inspiration.
So that’s what’s working for me at the moment. What about you? Where do you get your ideas from? I would love to know, just in case my present sources run dry!
The photo is from Flickr – by David Restivo (Great isn’t it.)